Thursday

Steampunk - Costuming

My household is infected with a viral plague. The upside of being quarantined from the outside world is having time I didn't expect in the craft room. So today I realized that Halloween is in like 3 days and I have no idea what my adorably kid will be, much less me.

I have a pilot jacket I got on consignment a while back, so I thought I would just make Soren a WWII pilot, with the goggles and the leather hat.

So as I am making him his hat, I think, "why don't I just match him" then I remember Steampunk.


                  What is Steampunk? 

"Steampunk- a sub-genre of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980's. Usually occurring the the Victorian era of Britain where Steam power is used. Usually featuring anachronistic technology of futuristic innovations based on Victorian perspective art, culture, style and fashion."

If you have time, Google Steampunk fashion...marvelous.

I love costume design. I love art through clothing. I love the freedom of over dramatic colors, assessorsies and shapes. Take the freedom of fantasy costume design and add Victorian fashion and thats my heaven. Seriously, I could design steampunk for the rest of my life and be a happy girl.
Back to reality. Soren is a pilot, so I decide to match him in being a pilot, but add a steam punk flare. My goal is to not spend any money (except the $2.50 is spent on faux leather I got for soren's hat) So I got out all the buttons, and metal pieces, and brooches I could find, and added it to leather.


My first challenge was my steampunk pilot goggles. I got the rims from my canning jars, make the leather piece, and sew it on with gold thread, use some clear plastic from some Tupperware containers, then add lots of buckles, ect.




Then I wanted some leather arm bands, again, sewed some leather, added buckles and Wallah.


For my actual 'outfit' I toyed around with huge Victorian skirts and velvet jackets, but in the end, I wanted to stay true to my pilot vision. So I wanted it to look like a WWI pilot, so I went with a simple standard issue green dress, with leggings, and boots. Layer some studded leather belts, and add some Steampunk jewelry.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment