Wednesday

Sewing: Not as hard as you think

Flannel Dress
This will be the worse tutorial you have ever read. The point is, you can do it yourself.

I am the laziest seemstress in the world, i only measure for pragmatic reasons, not as a way of being precise. I do not use patturns, but i love trying new things.

I cannot justify simply going shopping anymore. I have accumulated way to many clothes. When I need something, I find it, but other than that, I am beginning to hate clothing stores.
 The problem is, I often get an idea of a dress or skirt in my head. Sadly, usually the things in my head don't exist.
For example: I really wanted some flannel dresses I can wear with leggings and boots. I can't find anything remotely resembling what I want. So here is what I do...

1. Go to the thrift store and buy an XXXL shirt. Skinny short peeps could go with a double X. Usually the thrift store has cuter patterns anyways!

 
 
2.  Cut the shirt up to the way you want it to fit. Cut the sleeves off at the seem.
Measure your waist (wherever you want it to to gather)
Measure your neck to your shoulders and also measuring yourself from the shoulders down to where you are cutting. At that point take that corner to the far edge of the bottom

If nothing else, at this piont, you have a fab redneck holloween costume!

 3. Cut the sleeves to the width the fit your arms.( leave the cuff alone- I don't cut it at all)


4.. Turn the body of the dress inside out. Measure the sleeve width at the top, and match it to the body of the fabric. From this point, simply sew a seem down both sides all the way down. (inside out, so the 'good sides' are hidden and facing each other.)


(begin seem at the 10 inch mark is where i will begin my seem, leaving a hole for my sleeve.)

 5. Turning the sleeves inside out sew a seem down them as well. Turn the sleeves right side out again.

6. This part is a little tricky- with you body inside out, and your sleeve right side out. Now you will fit your sleeve into the sleeve hole in body, putting the sleeve cuff in first. Wiggle it all the way in so the 'good side'  large end of the sleeve lines up with the 'inside and good side' of the bodies arm hole. This should make two same sized (10 inches = 20 inch circle) where the 'good sides' of the fabric are hidden facing each other) making a circle of 2 fabics on top of the other.


Sew the circle, and turn right side out. Add your favorite belt, and Wallah!



1 comment: