Saturday

Silly Named Squash:Crookneck-Zucchini-Patty Pan



There are two types of squash: Summer and Winter. I am only growing summer squash this year and there are like a hundred different kinds. I'm just doing straightneck, Zucchini, and Patty Pan (all bush so they will fit neatly in my raised beds). I did half my squash from seed, and half from transplants set out after the last April 20th.
Zucchini is called the scourge of the summer! It is so easy to grow it make everyone feel like an seasoned farmer.

A small green tube can grow into a 2lb Zucchini in2 days. As you guys know I only consider my garden sucessful, if the food actually gets on my table for dinner, and tastes good! Zucchini is as easy to use as the other types of squash (crookneck and patty-pan), It is a filler for any pasta dish, it can also be used in fried rice. Squash casserole is easy and yummy (basically add onions, butter and egg, and cheese and top with Ritz crackers). If all else fails, I just stew a huge pot and make into Soren's baby food.


My favorite new discovery is using zucchini in bread. I love it!
Today I made Zucchini Bites: a savory appetizer made with onion and breadcrumbs, I also got to try using parsley on the top of the bites to make a pretty leaf silhouette. http://www.thenaptimechef.com/2010/07/summer-zucchini-bites-webisode-22/


I also love spiced Zucchini muffins, you can put vanilla chi (substituted for a portion of sugar) powder in it, and it rocks! Here is the basic recipe, I didn't use cranberries and the other frilly stuff, but I did add chocolate chips. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_muffins/

1 comment:

  1. I love your whole sidebar intro. We're very similar in our wishes! You are a much more accomplished gardener though. :) Hey, nobody told me zucchini was easy!! I will have to try it next year!

    ReplyDelete