Saturday

My Pick of Peppers






Peppers are usually planted from transplants started from seed indoors. They are medium feeders that require little fertalizer, thier main disease issue is blossom end rot. This disease is caused by lack of calcium to the friut, people try to spay calcium on this disease, but once it starts, it is very difficult to get rid of. The real culprit is lack of consistent water. Since i do plasticulture ( a plastic sheet much with drip irrigation under it) i don't have this problem. I did last year when i was container gardening.

The most cost-effective thing I have grown has definitely been peppers. They run a buck a piece even at aldi prices. My only problem this year was trying to figure out what I was growing. I bit into one because i was stupid, and got a spicy suprise. I knew i had a green Bell, One yellow bell (that has refused to yield a single pepper), and orange bell, then I figured my forth plant was a cyanne, that turn red if left on the plant, then I have a long waxy green pepper thats too spicy to be a chili, and too long to me a jalapeƱo, we think its a Serrano pepper, so whatever it is, its good. I wish I could tell you this guessing game has lead to me wanting to be more organizednext year, but the guessing has been fun.
Peppers are not overabundant, I use what I grow, and freezing them is relatively easy.
While were on the topic of unidentified veggies. We finally figured out that my cucumber plant that was bearing yellow cuces, was doing so because it cross-pollinated with my straight neck squash. So I now have squashcumbers!








No comments:

Post a Comment