Tuesday

Dre- How I've Grown.

people are by far the hardest crop. Did you know that it is estimated that 80% of people do not emotionally mature after the age of 20. That means most of us are college sophomores walking around, raising kids, and doing who knows what else.


Along with that, I bet most Christians do not Spiritually grow after an age of a year. Everyone know the excitement of a new believer. But if we are infinity unlike God, why aren't we infinity excited to grow and change to be more like Him?



What crappy plants we are. Since Gardening, all the 'plant parables' are making much more sense.



So lately, I've been thinking...
Me and my husband are in process to going to the overseas to ministry in 1-2 years. So this adventure getting closer, has caused some self examination. I certainly don't 'feel' like a missionary. Who cares how I feel, do I act like a missionary? I don't mean this in a legalistic way, although I love me some missionary skirts, I mean when you are in another country and your soul occupation is yo show other Christ's love, what would you do?
Then I was like, well my soul occupation on this earth is to show others God's love. What do I do?
Hmmm.
The Reminder. Why we are here. To know God and to make him known. All the rest is scenery, my job, laundry, cooking, clothes, even my garden if not put towards that end is scenery.
So obviously the past couple weeks I have been thinking on this. What does it mean to love others like Christ? A few things came to mind, one of which is God made our problem his problem. He was in perfect heaven, but thirsted for a relationship with us. He made our problem his problem. Just because someones problem isn't directly effecting you, doesn't mean it's not your problem. As children of God, pretty much it's ours. The word 'problem' may discourage some, but being a very task driven problem solving person, this idea appeals so me.
The 'Garden' aspect of this is coming, keep reading.
So all that being said, I was thinking about this and driving in Atlanta, and I see a homeless guy. Thinking thinking, not my job to ponder if he is a good for nothing drunk or lying, it is my job to love him, to see his problem as my problem, to 'give to whoever asks'. I don't have any cash. Someone gives him a granola bar, and he thanks them and tears into it. I look at my passenger seat thinking, what can I give this guy? I do have a basket of fresh produce I was going to give to a friend. She'll live. So I roll down the window and ask “could you have any use for these” holding up a variety of okra, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and squash. He answer “honey, I don't have anywhere to cook it or store it, it would just get stolen or rot”.Sad. The light turns red, I say I'm sorry I don't have cash, and the light turns green.

Sad. My eyes start to water. Food security. It's a crazy thing. Not only do I have LOADS of food given to me by God's earth, and this man has nothing. He doesn't even have the opportunity to eat fresh food. An alarming reality.



Plant a Row for the Hungry or P.A.R. Is a cool thing that our Master Gardener in Fayette County do. It's donating a row of crop to a food shelter. They took it a step furthure and have a community Garden and donate the whole lot to charity! Over 25,000 lb a year!
Video and Story
http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?catid=40&storyid=150660
Newspaper
http://volunteerpublishing.net/harvest-of-hope-group-raises-28000-pounds-of-produce-for-needy
Fayette County 4-H and Master Gardener Website
http://www.ugaextension.com/fayette/mg/MGProjects.html


Mr. Bray at the P.A.R. Garden -


taught me everything i know about gardening

1 comment:

  1. bless you for being generous / willing to give $ without worrying about whether the "undeserving poor" will spend it on something you wouldn't approve of. So few Christians are like that yet it's the heart of Christ to do so.

    ReplyDelete