Saturday

Herbs- heal.spice.soothe.

herbs are the bomb diggity, they have the power to heal, spice, or soothe. I am crazy about herbs.
If you want to start a small garden, I don't think you can go wrong with herbs. I am a little basil crazy so I probably use fresh herbs about 4 times a week. They are too simple. I got them at Home Dept for 2.50 a pint. (each pint had 3 or 4 plants (seeds are cheap, so why not put many in one to ensure the customer gets a live specimen) I only picked pints that had three or four healthy plants, when I transplanted them, I separated them out, and they have basically explode! Look at my before after. After that they will seed and re-propogate themselves for next year.



With Herbs the only bad thing you can do is water them too much, their basically weeds, so let them be. Also, dont be shy about harvesting them, the more you pick off, the more they produce, and if they flower, be sure to snap the flower heads of to ensure your plant will continue to grow fragrant leaves. Allow them to flower at the end of the season so they will seed for next year.


HEALI absolutely love picking fresh herbs while I have simmering pot on the stove, especially when it raining. Recently I got another sinus infection, and Herbs soup really helps. Chicken broth, thyme, chives, parsley, cilantro, mint, lemon, and garlic clear out my sinuses good, help me sleep and has gotten me better on many occasions. Some herbs you can eat straight up, but some like rosemary, I use an tea infuser because the leaves themselves are brittle and uncomfortable to eat.

SPICE. you can use basil, oregano, chives, cilantro, and thyme in a variety of foods, omletts, pizza, seafood. Lemon, ment, rosmary, catnip, and lavendar are a lttle less used but really hit the spot in some dishes. Once you go fresh, those little spinny shelves of pre-packaged herbs stored fresh in God only knows what year seem like a sick joke.


SOOTHE. I can get a sprig of rosmary and put in my tea, or put a some lavendar blooms in my bath, it's amazing how wonderfullly potent a fresh herb can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment