Wednesday

Drying Herbs- Rosemary & Oregano


So I know there are like a million books are on this subject but, I have found that the more time you spend outside, the closer you feel to the community around you. We straight up live in the burbs of southern Clayton County. Am I thinking that my little sustainability project is going to bring me closer to my other .54 acre neighbors, not really.

So we have these guys living two houses down. They have 4 kids and he has awesome dreads and his name is Jeremiah. The only interaction I have with this guy is a conversation about his dog Polo (which is pleasantly screamed around the neighborhood) who likes to flirt with my Pomeranian Wicket. So since we started the garden, he is fascinated by us and one day talked to me for an hour about his own gardening woes. He is a chef, and he really wants to grow his own stuff, but the deer ate it all: So we chit chat about my deer fence for a while.

Yesterday, he comes up to us and is like, “yall’s garden is the shi*, so I’m going to copy you”. Then he says that his herb-turned-weed garden has way a lot of rosemary and oregano and do we want some. I’m in heaven because this fulfills my green dream of community agriculture and the wilderness idea of ‘foraging for wild herbs’ all at once! So I picked a boat load of herbs, and now I am drying them. The rest I transplanted into my own garden. SWEET!

DRYING HERBS

All I did was separate them into bunches, cut off the dirty ends, and string them up in a cool dry area. I am experimenting by putting some on my screened in porch and some in my hallway inside. My hallway (where my herb shelf is-thanks mom) is actually the consistently darkest part of my house that is also well ventilated. Another plus is that it in the middle of my downstairs living area so my house is smelling Rosemary sweet and Oregano Savory- better than a grade plug in could ever smell!




No comments:

Post a Comment