Friday

Cabbage Soup -The Cool Season Harvest

I ate a dandelion. It tasted interesting, but I wouldn't call the experience wonderful, however eating from your own garden is just that. I also notice, that when you are the one growing, you do everything in your power to save every last morsels, and somehow, you enjoy it more, it taste better. I get to eat straight out of my garden a few times a week now. here's how it's growing...

Cabbage, Broccoli and Lettuce are doing well. I put in on my sandwiches and it always crisp and delectable. I have eaten a few broccoli heads, I accidentally let some flower, but I ate the rest. We also had cabbage patch soup last night, I realized only after I harvested WAY to early, but it still take delicious.




Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • some bacon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaves
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 3/4 cup sour cream

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the bacon and onion in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Stir in the flour to coat well, then quickly pour in the chicken broth. Stir constantly for 3 minutes, or until somewhat thickened.
  2. Next, add the cabbage, carrots, salt, ground black pepper and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and sour cream 1 minute before serving. Allow to heat through and remove bay leaf.

Asparagus: doing well, its just taunting me because I am not supposed to eat it till next year.

I got my first Strawberry- delicious. Got to it before the birds could. Strawberry Snatcher.

Potatoes and onions - doing great. I look t them everyday and say, I want to eat you.

2 comments:

  1. i feel bad for the poor little dolly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm,sounds so delectable. I will definitely have to make some cabbage soup. I'm SO glad we finally figured out that we both have blogs. Love you! Maria

    ReplyDelete