Monday

Seed Starting Cool Season Crops- January

Waiting was so hard. I could not believe those little baby seeds were actually going to sprout, I was crazier than I was during my last week of pregnancy: today maybe? But they did and it made me so happy. Jesse was like, “wow my wife is crazy about seeds”, Soren was like “I wonder what it would feel like to poop out dirt”.not really. Squirt doesn’t talk yet, his favorite activities include watching mom and dad dance, playing chubby bunny with his fist, machine gun pooping and playing the “ how many times can I roll over in the middle of the night and wake mommy and daddy up screaming” in one night game. Love of my life, joy of my soul, I love that little bean.

There are basically 3 growing cycles Cool Jan-may. Warm March-August. And Cool again May-September. Cool season crops I chose: carrot, celery, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, Indoor and outdoor herbs: cilantro, basil, oregano, lavender, mint, rosemary.

I am starting plants from seed because its cheap. Not easy but not particularly hard either.

YOU NEED
Seed. I purchased my BURPEE seeds from Home Depot. I did this because they sell smaller quantities than catalogs=cheaper. They are warranted, but the drawback is you loose variety selection that are more disease resistant and better producers.
Growing medium: high tech word for dirt! I also bought seed starting mix from there. Its $4 for a tiny bag, but for a home garden its all you need and it is already fertilized. Mixing my own would have cost more.
Sunlight: I have one south facing window. So that’s what I used
Heating pad- not necessary if your house stays warm, but I didn't wanna give these buggers any reason noy to sprout.
CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP- I used recycled egg cartons for seed containers MAKE SURE YOU SANATIZE WITH BLEACH!. ½ a two litter coke bottle for greenhouse cover. I chopped up old plastic blinds for labels.
WATER- must keep soil damp. not wet. damp.

COST: seeds cost about $15, soil $4 = $19
Seeds domed by coke bottles . Seed mix. Egg carton and 'blind' lables

1 comment:

  1. 2 weeks in my oregano "dampened off"- which means it caught a common seed disease and died. sad. Hopefully it will not spread.

    ReplyDelete