Monday

POTATOES-catching up on the harvest

I haven't been able to post in the last month. I have been working full-time, went on vacation, and spent the last week as 4-H Camp. This has highlighted the fact that my garden has such little upkeep. We go a neighbor to come turn the water on 3 times that week, and the garden's doing beautifully! I have also been trying to figure out video blogging with no success. The Garden has changed so much in just 4 weeks.
When the weather warmed in late may, the garden exploded with life!
At that point I was harvesting a strawberry here and there, eating lettuces and collards. There was a period of time that everything was growing rapidly, but there was nothing to harvest. Then when we came back from Florida last week we had our first Summer bounty!
There is so much to post that I thing I will highlight a Harvest each post.









POTATOES
Growing: easy
The first of the harvest was when I notice my Potatoes looking sickly, I got worried and looked it it up in a book and saw that when you potatoes plants decline, it's time to pull them up and get your potatoes. It was so fun, we had half red potatoes half white. We had 3 rows of about 10ft and produced around 100 Potatoes total. Next year I want to plant more! I am deciding if I should do a second crop, if I do, I have to battle with the potato beetle season. Ewww.


Whe potatoes look bad...


1. Pull potatoes up-pull potatoes off roots




2. Roll plastic much-dig up the rest of the potatoes



3. Re-bury drip line for next crop




4. Roll plastic mulch and hay back over dirt to keep weeds away


5. Enjoy Potatoes~



No comments:

Post a Comment