Saturday

Composting. Recycling made very very easy.

There has been way too much Baby posting going on, so I thought w cover composting. Composting is just letting nature recycle organic materials. The end result is a very rich dark soil filled with nutrients. The only thing nature needs to turn organic substances (grass clippings, food, discarded plants, dead leaves) into compost is time and oxygen. The microorganisms do the rest!

How.

I just got some pallets from Home Depot, you can sometimes convince them to give them to you for free, and made a square like structure. You can use chicken wire, garbage cans, 5 gallon bucket or pretty much anything, or even nothing, you can just pile it up on the ground. I like the pallet because it can hold a lot of stuff and the slats inside allow oxygen to get to the rotting material, thus speeding up the process.

All you need to know is BROWN + GREEN. You need 1 parts green material :kitchen scraps, rinds, skins, and peels, discarded plant parts, grass clippings, weeds ect. With 3 parts brown (dead materials such as leaves, newspaper, tea bags). Put your pile in a sunny location and WALLAH! THAT’S IT, You will have rich dark soil in a few months. I actually ask my neighbor for their dead leafs, they look at me funny but are happy to oblige, and I put kitchen scraps into a gallon plastic baggie which I drop off at the compost pile every 2 days or so.

Composting DON’TS:

-don’t put new material in a pile that has already broken down

-do not put invasive weeds in pile

-keep dairy and meat product out of your compost: it will attract critters!

2 comments:

  1. Just used my own compost on the garden for the first time this year! It took a long time to break everything down. Eggshells are great for nutrients, but take forever to become compost. My parents use the 4 year method, rotating compost piles every year and using the one from 4 years ago. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative-I miss you terribly-can't wait to see you in August!

    ReplyDelete