Thursday

Fall Fresh Veggies and Collards Greens



The Garden is winding down. Three weeks ago we had our first frost, it was my Garden's very first frost and I watched all my Basil, Pepper, and Tomatoes plants turned brown overnight. I was impressed that cold could damage a plant THAT quickly.There is plenty of fall crops that survive cold snaps: Cabbage, Lettuce, Kale, Perennial Herbs, Radishes, Carrots, Broccoli, and Cauliflower.


Carrots & Radishes. There are still things to pick and eat. I have Carrots and Radishes, planted from seed and forgotten and now are magically ready to add nourishment to out family.. Radishes tops and bottoms are edible, I used some potatoes I stored since spring and I made some creamy potato soup topped with fresh cilantro.
Collards. Very nutritious a little hard to cook, but I decided to go with a quiche. I had never made a pie crust before.


2 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I must say, I am jealous! None of my fall veggies grew...I was sad. One question: how do you store your potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. typical- dark and semi-moist area. I have seen a lot of people dig their own root sellers by digging a big hole ans simply inserting a large plastic trashcan. We just keep our in the closet.

    ReplyDelete