Sunday

Seed Starting- the remix

February 6th 2011

After two weeks I had many seeds that germinated. All were doing well, besides carrots, celery, rosemary, mint and lavender, so I got about 50/50. However it was hard to keep the soil moist, I would water twice a day and it was not good for the seedling themselves so be wet that much. Many caught a fungus and died. This is called dampening off, they don’t know what causes it, but it is very common in little seedling. SO… after another week, I transplanted some, at this stage 75% more died. What I have left from the whole debacle is 6 basil plants. (and a lot of know how)
I replanted, I was more neat with flattening the soil. I dug little trenches in the soil, then put the seeds on a piece of plastic blind, and slowly ran the plastic along the trench as a tapped it, causing seeds to more or less fall neatly into the trench. Then I filled the trench in and patted the soil down.
THEN. I put the whole tray inside a clear plastic bag instead of using the coke bottles. THIS WORKED BEAUTIFULLY. I never had to water them and they are growing 3x as well as before. Coke bottle= cute and recycly but not such a good sealant! Now everything but the celery is growing very well.- time to transplant soon!
USE CLEAR PLASTIC BAGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment